12/8/10

Celebrating a New Chapter of Demian

 Same ol' refrain: no time, no time, no time. But this little corner of the web has been neglected for so long I figure I gotta do something! So, time to cheat. Today's post will be all (good!) links.


My procrastination manga of choice recently has been Oki Mamiya's Demian Syndrome, which if I had to classify I would say it BL. I say if I had to because it doesn't really fit any one genre, and even Oki-sensei seems to leave the labeling up to her readers in her notes to the tankobon. You could call it psychological drama, parallel fiction, adolescent coming-of-age... You get the idea. If you're intrigued I have more detail on its plot/publication info on my new annotated bibliography blog (nerdy, I know). If you wanna read the manga Jouhoku Scanlations is working on translating it and they've just released chapter 15!Yay!

 I hafta say it: a word on scanlations. It's a big debate and I'm no where near as informed as I'd like to be about all the ins and outs. My personal position is, if the thing has been published in English then don't go reading a scanlation, buy the manga. The more encouragement publishers receive to translate excellent works into English the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment